“Ok guys, I know… I know… I jumped on the baking train just like everyone else did during this quarantine, but I have to be honest, it has been fun getting in the kitchen and trying out new recipes! Cooking has always been a form of mediation for me. I suppose the same way art, music and exercise is for others.
Not only has cooking served as a way to quiet my thoughts and anxieties during these challenging times, it has also become a fun way to connect with my loved ones! (I even have my husband trying recipes with me here and there.) I wanted to share my favorite “quarantine dessert” thus far and as always, encourage all of our Alumni to also find hobbies that they are passionate about!”
Recipe credit: The Baker Mama. Here is the link: Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread
Swirls of buttery cinnamon sugar swim throughout the moistest banana bread that’s out of this world delicious!
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed (about 1-1/2 cups)
CINNAMON SUGAR SWIRL:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 6 thin slices of banana, for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease and flour a 9×5-inch loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, melt the butter and let cool slightly. Whisk in the sugar then the eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour and baking soda. Fold in the mashed bananas until just combined.
- In a small bowl, use a fork to stir together the cinnamon sugar swirl ingredients until thick and well combined.
- Spread 1/4 of the batter evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan. Dollop 1/4 of the cinnamon sugar mixture over the batter in the pan and then make a nice thick swirl through the batter with a table knife or bottom of a wooden spoon. Place 1/3 of the remaining batter evenly over the first layer and swirl with 1/3 of the remaining cinnamon sugar mixture. Place 1/2 of the remaining batter evenly over the second layer and swirl with 1/2 of the remaining cinnamon sugar mixture. Spread the remaining batter evenly over the top and dollop with the remaining cinnamon sugar mixture. Make large swirls throughout the entire loaf. Place six thin banana slices down the middle of the batter.
- Place loaf pan on a baking sheet and bake for 60-70 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the bread cool in the pan for at least 30 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.