Last month I jumped on the quarantine banana bread baking train like the rest of the world – and it was pretty amazing, if I do say so myself! This month, I decided to try something a little bit lighter and more time efficient… because let’s face it, to some extent, things are slowly starting to get back to normal. So if you are looking for an easy, sweet summertime dessert to try out this coming weekend… I have a treat for you!
(I decided to be fancy and make the cake from scratch but you can save yourself some time and buy store bought pound cake instead.)
- 6 eggs
- 1 and 3/4 cups sugar
- zest of 1 lemon plus 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 6 tablespoons oil
- 6 tablespoons water
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 2 9-oz. containers whipping cream/heavy cream (I used nondairy whipping cream).
- 1 pound frozen strawberries, thawed
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 pint strawberries, stems removed, and cut into slices
- 3 basil leaves, washed and cut into very thin slices, this is optional
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Line two 9×13-inch pans or one large roasting pan with parchment paper, beat eggs on high speed for 10 minutes, adding the sugar in slow intervals.
- Add the remaining cake ingredients and beat for just a few more seconds.
- Pour into lined pans and bake for 45–50 minutes or until the top springs back and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cake cool down.
- Prepare the strawberry whip: Beat the whipping cream, and then add remaining ingredients.
- Meanwhile, macerate the strawberries (this means sweeten the strawberries) by combining them with sugar and basil and lemon juice. Let the strawberries sit at room temperature for 20 minutes until the strawberries are juicy and the sugar dissolves.
- Cut the cake into small pieces and place the pieces at the bottom of the jar.
- Top with a few spoons of the macerated (sweetened) strawberries and some strawberry whip.
- Garnish with strawberries and lemon peel, or basil. Enoy!