Hello again Alumni! I am so excited to share one of my favorite dessert dishes, oatmeal cream pies! This dish is vegan and gluten free and you wouldn’t even know it. As always, feel free to send me a picture if you try this out yourself! [email protected]
Oatmeal Cream Pies:
- 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Cups Quick Oats
- 3/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Cane Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Molasses
- 1 Cup Vegan Butter (or the real stuff), melted
- 2 Tbsp Ground Flax Seed
- 1/3 Cup Plant Milk (regular milk should work fine as well)
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
- 2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 2/3 Cup Vegan Butter (or regular) –room temperature
- 2-3 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1-2 Tbsp Plant Milk – use as needed to thin the frosting – (regular milk is also fine here)
- 1/8 Tsp Salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- To make the cookies, cream together the melted vegan butter and sugar until smooth, then add the plant milk, vanilla and molasses and mix until smooth.
- Add in flour, ground flax, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and then mix until fully incorporated. Add oats and mix thoroughly, but try not to over mix.
- At this point the dough will be a bit runny – let it sit for 10-15 minutes so the flax seed can bind everything together, after this it will be thicker and much more manageable.
- Take 2 tbsp amounts of dough and shape into balls with the palm of your hands or with a cookie scoop, and place at least 2-3 inches apart on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes, you don’t want to over bake or they won’t be as chewy. Let the cookies cool completely.
- To make the frosting, mix together the room temperature vegan butter, vanilla and salt until smooth.
- Using an electric mixer or by mixing vigorously by hand, incorporate the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, until all is used up and the mixture is fluffy and light, then set aside. Add plant milk as needed to make it fluffy, but not too thin.
- Once cookies are fully cooled, add 1-2 tbsp of frosting to half the cookies, and place another on top and squish down until the frosting reaches the edges. Enjoy!